A Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I is an individual who has demonstrated the knowledge and ability to properly perform and record the results of seven basic field tests on freshly mixed concrete.
Scope and Knowledge:
This program requires demonstration of the knowledge and hands-on skills covered on the Job Task Analysis (JTA):
The program requires a working knowledge of the following ASTM test methods and practices:
- C1064/C1064M – 17—Temperature of Freshly Mixed Hydraulic-Cement Concrete
- C172/C172M – 17—Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete
- C143/C143M – 15a—Slump of Hydraulic-Cement Concrete
- C138/C138M – 17a—Density (Unit Weight), Yield, and Air Content (Gravimetric) of Concrete
- C231/C231M – 17a—Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Pressure Method
- C173/C173M – 16—Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Volumetric Method
- C31/C31M – 19—Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Field
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both of the following requirements:
- A passing grade on the ACI written examination; AND
- Successful completion of the ACI performance examination.
The one-hour written examination is closed-book and consists of 55 multiple-choice questions. There are between five and ten questions on each of the ASTM test methods and practices. To pass the written examination, BOTH of the following conditions must be met:
- At least 60% correct for each of the required test methods and practices; AND
- A minimum score of 70% overall.
The performance examination is also “closed book” and requires actual demonstration of six of the required test methods and practices plus a verbal description of Practice C172/C172M (sampling). The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform (or describe, where allowed) all of the required steps for each procedure.
Certification is valid for a period of five years from the date of successfully completing all requirements. Recertification requires successful completion of both the written and performance examinations.
How do I apply and study for the Exam? Check out our PREPARE page.