Our next 2023 ACI & Plant exam will be held on DECEMBER 2nd in Westbrook, Maine. The application will be posted here 5 weeks prior to the exam.
Please make payment either by Personal Check or Money Order, made out to MCTCB and mailed to: MCTCB, PO Box 241, LEE, ME 04455.
MCTCB holds its ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician—Grade I Certification Exam and MCTCB Plant Certification Exam each spring in two Maine locations (typically the last Saturday of April in Old Town and the first Saturday of May in Westbrook), and on the first Saturday in December (depending on demand) in one Maine location, either Westbrook or Old Town.
- Concrete Field Testing Technician – Grade I exam:
- Full – Written and Performance Exams – $325 ($250 with current Student ID)
- Written Exam Only – $200
- Performance Exam Only – $250
- Plant Certification Exam:
- Full – $100
Submit your Application
STEPS TO TAKE:
- Download and print the two-page Application,
- Fully complete, sign and date each page,
- Email your completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Mail your payment, Payable to MCTCB to: MCTCB, c/o Russ Bragg, P.O. Box 241, LEE, ME 04455.
Completed applications must be submitted no later than three (3) weeks prior to your chosen exam date. The ACI Study booklets will be mailed to you once we receive your payment.
Please fill out your application COMPLETELY, including checking one of the boxes on page 2, section 10. Incomplete applications will delay the delivery of your study booklet. For the exams, arrive at 8 a.m. unless you receive a call from MCTCB with an alternate time for your arrival.
Refund Policy: 1. Cancellations for the ACI exams received by the Thursday just prior to your exam date will receive a Partial Refund of the exam amount less a $75 fee to cover study booklet-related expenses. 2. Cancellations received prior to your exam date for the MCTCB Plant exam will receive a Full Refund. 3. Cancellations received after the Thursday just prior to your ACI exam date and No-shows for ANY exam will receive No Refund. 4. Carryovers to a later exam date are not accepted. 5. Substitutions (with no additional study booklet mailed) will be accepted only with prior approval. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS POLICY. Other specific rules apply (see application for details).
Review the ACI Study Booklet
For the ACI exams, once your payment is received, we will mail you the ACI study booklet that you will need to review prior to taking the exam. Make sure you complete all of its practice exams! The ACI study booklet no longer includes the ASTM-published Standard Testing Procedures. These can be purchased through the ASTM website or possibly accessed through your employer or a local library. Earlier editions of the ACI study booklets do include these ASTM test procedures.
Review the MCTCB Study Guide
For the MCTCB Plant exam you can download below our study guide with a list of testing procedure references.
Watch some Videos
These six videos are very helpful when preparing for the Performance part of the ACI exam. We strongly suggest that you also get some hands-on testing experience before taking the exam. Click “Watch on YouTube” to see all of the six videos.
For the verbal portion of the Performance Exam: C172/C172M – 17—Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete please refer to the study booklet and its practice exams.
Take the Exam
On the day of the exam bring a #2 pencil (NO PENS) and a calculator. You will want to bring your ACI study booklet with you to study during the downtime between your taking the Written and Performance Exams.
NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED AT THE EXAM SITE. If you are found with one, you won’t be allowed to continue the exam; the exam will be void; and you will receive no refund.
Auburn Concrete, 93 Scott Drive, Westbrook, Maine, and
Owen J. Folsom, 299 Gilman Falls Ave, Old Town, Maine.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does MCTCB provide training for the exams? No, MCTCB does not provide training. We do provide an ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician – Grade I study booklet for you to study on your own prior to exam day. There are also videos of the practical test procedures on YouTube that you can review. Refer to our PREPARE page. Exam day is limited to the taking of the exam(s).
- How do I apply for the exam? Go to the top of this page and read through the steps on this website and on the application, when posted.
- I failed the Written (or Practical) portion of the exam. What do I do now? You will need to re-apply and re-take the Written (or Practical) Exam within a year of the failed exam. You may take it through MCTCB or another ACI sponsoring group – their upcoming exams are listed on the ACI website. Alternatively, for re-taking the Written exam only you may contact the Prometric Testing Center at 207-404-2001 (in Bangor, Maine), and for re-taking the Practical exam only you may contact the Northern New England Concrete Promotion Association at 207-232-9010 (in Scarborough, Maine).
- What is your Refund Policy? 1. Cancellations for the ACI exams received by the Thursday just prior to your exam date will receive a Partial Refund of the exam amount less a $75 fee to cover booklet-related expenses. 2. Cancellations received prior to your exam date for the MCTCB Plant exam will receive a Full Refund. 3. Cancellations received after the Thursday just prior to your ACI exam date and No-shows for ANY exam will receive No Refund. 4. Carryovers to a later exam date are not accepted. 5. Substitutions (with no additional study booklet mailed) will be accepted only with prior approval. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS POLICY. Other specific rules apply (see application for details).
- When will I receive my Study Booklet? Typically, within a week after we receive your payment.
- Where can I get a copy of the ASTM Standard Testing Procedures? The ACI study booklet no longer includes the ASTM-published Standard Testing Procedures. These can be purchased through the ASTM website or possibly accessed through your employer or a local library. Earlier editions of the ACI study booklets do include these ASTM test procedures.
- How do I study for the MCTCB Plant Exam? Download our study guide above with a list of testing procedures references. Study the information given by these references.
- Can I change exam locations? Possibly, but only with prior approval from MCTCB.
- When will I get my exam results? For the ACI exams, ACI typically mails your results to you within 4 weeks of your taking the exam. For the MCTCB Plant exam, MCTCB typically mails your results within 2 weeks of your taking the exam.
- Do I need to wear PPE’s to the exam? You are not required to wear a hard hat or reflective vest but should wear steel toe shoes, gloves, and work clothes.
- Are there COVID-19 requirements for taking the exam? Any Covid-19 -related requirements are listed on the application.
- I am a Veteran. Can I be reimbursed for the ACI exam fee? Yes, you may be partially or fully reimbursed. FMI go to: https://www.concrete.org/certification/veteranrebate
- Can I apply for accommodation in accordance with ADA? Yes, please apply at ACI’s website: https://www.concrete.org/certification/ada-info.aspx
How can I ask MCTCB another question? Check out our CONTACT page.